( Business Development / Sales / Operations)
Telecommunications business models often generate very attractive international market opportunities — and this is where John R. Vargo has built his career. John is a hands-on executive with over 20 years of experience creating and directing internationally-oriented, high-growth telecommunications companies in fields such as international telephony, satellite communications, wireless networks and Internet and telemetry transport. Prior to co-founding DaVinci Solutions, John had spent several years as a “launch specialist” — stepping into executive roles to launch or re-launch new or re-tooled businesses in the international telecoms arena, including as:
- President of a Telemetry and Security Alarm Transport company
- President & CEO, for a start-up involved in providing High Speed Access to the Internet via Wireless Links
- Sr. Vice President, Int’l Business Development, for a company involved in creating international joint ventures for Digital Trunked Radio, in Europe and the Far East
In the early 1990s, John made his reputation as President of Plexsys International, a company engaged in the design, manufacture and sale of Cellular switching and base station equipment in rural and emerging markets. In this role, he successfully grew the company’s revenue base by over 500% in two years, selling systems throughout Latin America, Russia (first AMPS system in Moscow), China and North America. In 1994, Plexsys received a FastTrack award from the Washington Business Journal in recognition as one of the regions fastest growing companies.
Earlier, John joined Comsat Corporation, the US signatory to Intelsat (the international satellite consortium) to lead Systems Engineering, Strategic Planning and Business Development for its Intelsat Services Division, where he gained valuable insights to the international satellite industry and led the effort for Intelsat to purchase its first ever service specific satellite (Intelsat K for Video services). He then became the founding executive of Comsat International Ventures, where he established a group outside of Comsat’s regulated businesses to establish joint venture companies with foreign telcos and local entrepreneurs to offer business satellite services. His team started eight ground-floor joint ventures, principally in Latin America, to capitalize on opportunities to serve pent up demand, which were being created during the early stages of telecoms deregulation in those countries.
In the early 1980s, John joined Sprint Communications in California to help launch international voice services, and was responsible for all the network agreements required to initiate international service including acquisition of undersea cables and satellite circuits, establishing international switch gateways and working with engineering and operations to ensure that a high quality overlay network was put in place to handle incoming traffic. He represented Sprint at many international facilities forums and worked closely with his international telco counterparts to establish the initial links to each country. He negotiated many commercial agreements with PTTs, implemented a “Carriers’ carrier” International Gateway, and established a fiber-cable (PTAT) and global services venture with Cable & Wireless.
John received his MBA and a BS in Business & Economics from Lehigh University in Bethlehem, PA. He currently serves on the Board of the Telecommunications Industry Association (TIA). He was an area finalist in Ernst & Young/Merrill Lynch/Inc. Magazine Entrepreneur of the Year (1994) and is a frequent lecturer on entrepreneurial ventures at Columbia University Graduate Business School in New York City.
(Finance / Strategic Planning Advisor)
- More than 20 years in the telecommunications industry (18 years at AT&T in marketing, finance, strategic planning)
- Former CFO for AT&T Wireless; former CFO for Geotek Technologies Ltd. (Israel)
- Former Equity Analyst (Telecommunications Equipment & Services) for Dean Witter (3 years on Wall Street)
(Technology / Operations/ Product Development)
- 20 years in high-tech wireless systems development – recognized as a leading wireless technologist
- Entrepreneur & co-founder of two public wireless technology companies; positions ranging from:
- Active chairman of a large Israeli-based engineering subsidiary head of product development for mobile/portable data-centric applications for mobile service provider
- Architect of international technical joint ventures in Korea, Germany, Japan
- Director of UK-based mobile SMR operator
- Author of two best-selling technical books on digital wireless technology, and the forthcoming 3rd Generation Wireless Systems: Vol. I – Post-Shannon Architectures
( Regulatory focus / Business Development / Strategic Alliances)
- Washington DC-based telecommunications executive focusing on business development, regulatory strategy & standards development since 1983
- Former VP Technology for CTIA (Cellular Telephone Industry Assoc.) — led the development of TDMA, CDMA and Networking Standards for the Industry
- Business Development leader for Sprint Data Services
- MIT engineering background, Harvard decision & control program; former assoc. professor at Cornell Business School
( Business Development / Sales / Strategic Alliances – Latin America )
George brings thirty years of international management, engineering, consulting, business development and sales experience in the Telecommunications and IT industries. Has led significant business expansion in companies like Amdocs, Comsat, IBM, Microsoft and GE. As a consultant has provided cross-industry technical services to Fortune 500 companies including ITO/BPO, Managed Services, Offshore Software Development, Cloud Services, Data/Call Centers, Communications Networks, BSS/OSS, BI.
He completed his Doctoral studies in Electrical Engineering at The George Washington University, Washington, DC with maximum distinction, after obtaining his M.S.E.E. at Universidad Tecnica Federico Santa Maria, Valparaiso, Chile.
( Business Development / Sales / Strategic Alliances -APAC )
Bryan is an accomplished business development and sales executive with 15 years experience delivering complex technology solutions to Enterprise and Government markets. Following his military career, Bryan focused on representing both Korean and foreign companies building business in the Korean and Asian markets. With extensive experience in Unified Communications, Video Conferencing, Digital Signage and Cloud Computing, Bryan has developed business relations with over 150 clients including global firms such as Samsung, IKEA and Amway, along with local Korean cable and telephony operators and local government agencies.
Prior to DaVinci, as Director, Business Development for TVStorm, a leading technology vendor developing solutions for smart set top boxes used for traditional and OTT (Over the Top) video services, Bryan successfully conducted business in Korea, Singapore, Thailand and United States, developing both solution sales and SaaS recurring revenue opportunities. Bryan is passionate about delivering the highest quality solutions and customer service to his clients.